Wow, I had never imagined a list about soft drinks would garner such attention and rancor in the same instance! Well, it did, and so, based on the literally HUNDREDS of comments from all over the place, I bring you, my faithful readers, THE SEQUEL! That's right, I took many of your suggestions to heart and constructed an equally as amazing list A SECOND TIME! I hope you all enjoy it as much as the original and hey, who knows, perhaps a third is waiting in the wings... Enjoy!
10. Citra
Though perhaps not completely dead and gone (apparently traces of this have made rare appearances outside of my 5-state knowledge) Citra was a favorite of mine for sure. Not so long ago, around '02 or '03, Citra was inundating the stores around here, but then slowly faded into what is now Fanta Citra. Still ultimately a Coke product, just blended into the background. It more or less tasted like if Squirt had given up a little.
9. Veep
Hey did you guys know that Veep is also the nationally recognized abbreviated term for a Vice President? Yeah, nothing funny I just thought I'd share how much more difficult that made my search for this long-gone soda. Growing up, our corner store/soda shop had a Veep dispenser much akin to the picture. It was pretty good and not at all dissimilar to 7-Up, as it was marketed against. Still, a clear frozen beverage is like a glass of water... kinda unappealing. I guess that's why that picture has red in it. I get it.
8. 7*Up Gold

My God this picture was tough to wrangle! I think it's the only one on the damn net! Anyway, I actually did down a few of these during my early years of high school, and, since I enjoy ginger ale and Vernor's quite a bit, this spicy, caffeinated 7*up was pretty tasty. Gone too soon I understand. and much to the chagrin of quite a few of you.
7. Teem

This one has a special place in my heart since it's made, much like Faygo, right here in the unemployment capital of the US of A: Michigan! WooHoo! Anyway, this is yet another of the 'clear' beverages that was around during the younger years of 7*up, but has faded at the feet of its superior much like many of these long forgotten warriors. I believe I may have had one or two since my grandparents were notorious for hording like pack rats. Glass bottles, no less.
6. Apple Slice

Boy oh boy did I get requests (and verbal lashings) for this amazing drink. If I recall correctly, and I most certainly have, this was really quite crisp. It was not wholly dissimilar to a non-alcoholic sparkling apple juice that can be found right here in MICHIGAN! PLUG! By the fine wine makers at St.Julian! Also, much like its far inferior cousin 'Mandarin Orange Slice', Apple Slice was actually GOOD! What a concept!
5. Sundrop

So, before any of you get up in arms here, I found a website that still offers Sundrop at some wonderful prices! And by wonderful I mean completely insane! $7.50 a SIX PACK! I like it, but come on! When I first encountered Sundrop I was attending college in the great-white-north of Marquette, Michigan and my room mate was from Wisconsin. Every time he went home for a weekend I'd send with him a few bucks and he'd return with, perhaps, one of the best citrus sodas in existence. I fell in love with Sundrop and ended up murdering my room mate when he stopped delivering. Yeah, that's right. Well, regardless, if it is around, it's nowhere here in Michigan and I haven't had one since 1993. Anyone?
4. Pepsi Blue

As much as I love pop, and I do LOVE pop, Pepsi Blue was even a bit too sweet for me. If you ever had the desire to drink liquid cotton candy, this was your huckleberry. The carnival richness was followed closely by a fruity after-flavor that really did nothing more than make it taste like more berry-themed cotton candy. It was quite syrupy as was it's fiercest promoter at the time: Britney 'Trainwreck' Spears. That makes sense.
3. Afri-Cola

First of all, Check This Out. I had no earthly idea! And, unfortunately, I have never had this soft drink, either. Understandably so, since it's relatively impossible to locate in the US. But, since it's a rarity and I received numerous requests to have it on a list... here it is. I wish I could describe the flavor to you all, but, from what I understand, it's pretty similar to Jolt in terms of caffeine and cola flavored.
2. Nehi

I was never able to enjoy a Nehi in its original incarnation, but since it eventually became Royal Crown Cola, I have, indeed, enjoyed that. In fact, I'd go so far as to say RC is my favorite of the 'cola'-type sodas. Nehi was quite the popular brand so named because one of the original designs featured a model of a woman showing stockings 'knee-high'. Really... would I make that up? And yes, I am well aware that this is not the original packaging, and it's grape. What're ya gonna do.
1. OK Cola

Ah Generation X, the laziest, most morose and sullen generation of all time! And look, you even got a taste of a soft drink marketed by the rascals over at Coca Cola around about 1994 that went over so successfully it dropped off the face of the earth in 1995! Wow, it looks as though it tried as hard to fit in as the X Gen itself. ZING! Oh, and I never had one, either... sorry.
**HONORABLE MENTION - BIG RED**
Oh, woops... almost forgot one. I actually did have one of these sodas a LONG time ago down south when I was on a business trip. I'm sorry, but I wasn't especially fond. Some of you are, though, judging by your affection. Yummy.


Shoutwire -


4 comments:
so yeah sundrop is still around here in wisconsin. pretty much in north-central wiconsin you can find it anywhere. and i agree...it is quite delicious!!
Big Red is still around in the Northwest.
I kind of had an idea those two still lurked this country somewhere! By the way, I'm considering a 3rd incarnation... let me know what you think!
pepsi still makes apple slice in small quantities for certain grocers in washington.
the soda that i miss the most is new york seltzer. i swear there wasn't a single flavour of the suff that i hated.
fair ;)
Post a Comment